| Dual Universe is currently under a .|
All players with access to the game are strictly prohibited from sharing any details about their experience or gameplay.
As such, information on this wiki may be inaccurate or outdated.
An Element is a type of item, such as a control unit, engine, or specific player-built object that is used to build constructs. Elements are different from voxels in that each has a predefined shape, size, and function. For example, a space ship cannot fly without (among other things) engine elements to provide thrust, a fuel tank element to hold fuel for the engines, and a control unit element from which to steer the ship. Player-made voxel elements can also be used to expedite the creation of constructs.
Types of Elements[edit | edit source]
There are many types of elements in Dual Universe, and each has its own purpose. In general, elements fall into two basic categories: Voxel and Mesh. Voxel elements are objects that are manually created by players with no mechanical function, but that can be re-used in later constructions. For a better explanation of voxel elements, see the builder's guide. Mesh elements are objects created by Novaquark, and each has it's own designated function, such as an engine or market unit.
Furthermore, elements are either Passive or Active. Passive Elements are decorations or cosmetic features that are placed during construction, but they cannot be interacted with later. For example, static hologram displays or ship decals are both passive elements. Active Elements are elements that cannot function without player interaction, such as market units, which sell items and resources, and industrial units, which produce constructs. While some mesh elements are passive and some are active, voxel elements can only be passive. Players cannot design their own active elements at this time, and such a feature is not planned for some time given the significant development costs involved.
All elements can be crafted by players, or bought and sold through a market unit. Currently, all mesh elements are designed by Novaquark and made available for the players to craft in game. In order to craft an element the player needs to gather the materials and/or resources necessary for its construction. They can then craft the desired element with the in-game crafting system, or an Assembly unit.
There are many mesh elements in game already, and each has its own predefined function and purpose. Some have distinct types and levels, each with unique statistics and functions, and many will require certain skills to operate. While all mesh elements have their functions predetermined by the developers, players can manipulate those functions by connecting different elements to each other, or by writing Lua scripts that modify their behavior.
List of Elements (known and in debate for implementation)[edit | edit source]
|Element Categories||Element Names||Quick Description||Potential Release|
|Control Units||Cockpit||Control system for small ships. Will eventually feature customizable displays||Alpha|
|Control Board||Control system for larger constructs and elements that will eventually feature customizable displays||Confirmed - Potentially in Alpha|
|Emergency Control Units||A control unit that safely lands ships automatically||Alpha|
|Holo-Table||Can display an holographic image, such as a planet or a construct. Potentially cosmetic only.||Rumored|
|Remote Control Element||Allow the player to remotely control a construct||Alpha|
|Screen Units||Can display text, HTML, and SVG content in the game world similar to a billboard. Is programmable with Lua scripting.||Alpha|
|Decoration Units||Bed||Nice to rest here after a long day digging||Alpha|
|Carpet||To warm a bit this cold concrete||Alpha|
|Floor Tiles||For decorating internal floor spaces||Alpha|
|Glass||Windows to see rays of light in the darkness||Alpha|
|Holograms||Decorative display element with no functional purpose||Confirmed - Potentially in Alpha|
|Navigation Chair||Decorative furnature||Confirmed - Potentially in Alpha|
|Night stand||Decorative furniture||Confirmed - Potentially in Alpha|
|Modular Platform||For landing constructs on||Alpha|
|Paintings||Decorative paintings to hang on walls||Confirmed - Potentially in Alpha|
|Plants||Decorative element for bringing some color to your otherwise lifeless environment||Confirmed - Potentially in Alpha|
|Sofa||For those times when you just need to relax and eat an entire tub of ice cream by yourself||Confirmed - Potentially in Alpha|
|Trash Can||For that mix tape you've been working on||Confirmed - Potentially in Alpha|
|Wall Covering||"Futuristic" wall panels that look cool but have no gameplay function||Alpha|
|Wings||Decorative wings to add to ships||Confirmed - Potentially in Alpha|
|Detector Units||Radar Unit||To detect constructs at long range||Rumored|
|Scanner||To scan structures or planets for elements or players||Rumored|
|Telemeter||To measure distances||Confirmed - Potentially in Alpha|
|Engine Units||Adjusters||Apply limited directional thrust to increase turning rate and maneuverability||Alpha|
|Atmospheric Engines||Generates thrust in atmosphere||Alpha|
|Faster-Than-Light Engines||Faster Than Light (FTL) engines allow constructs to travel at supra-light speeds||Confirmed - Post-Release Expansion|
|Hover engines||Allows constructs to hover in planetary atmospheres||Alpha|
|Retro-engines||Generates limited directional thrust in space to stabilize and brake constructs||Alpha|
|Space engines||Generates thrust in space||Alpha|
|Vertical Booster||Generates vertical thrust in atmosphere||Alpha|
|Industrial Units||3D printer||Uses Materials and Alloys to produce parts and gear||Confirmed - Potentially in Alpha|
|Assembly Unit||Produces elements using parts, materials, and/or resources||Confirmed - Potentially in Alpha|
|Foundry||Uses resources to make Alloys||Confirmed - Potentially in Alpha|
|Factory Unit||Used to mass produce constructs using elements, materials, parts and resources||Confirmed - Potentially in Alpha|
|Mechanical Press||Used to refine ressources||Confirmed - Potentially in Alpha|
|Market Units||Information Unit||Provides the player pricing and availability information for different products, advertised in various market units||Rumored|
|Market Unit||Elements that allow players to buy and sell items to other players||Confirmed - Potentially in Alpha|
|Mechanism Units||Door||To get to the snowman, you first need to pass the door...||Alpha|
|Elevator||For elevating your Dual Universe experience||Rumored|
|Force Field Wall||A wall of energy that restricts player movement||Alpha|
|Head Light||A powerful directed light that can illuminate a large area||Alpha|
|Lamp||An internal or external light source which can be turned on and off||Alpha|
|Landing Gear||aka. Anchor units, can retract and move, allowing ships to land on worlds or dock with other constructs||Confirmed - Potentially in Alpha|
|Power Units||Batteries||Elements and ammo that store energy and are used to power personal equipment, such as scanners and weapons||Confirmed - Post Release Expansion|
|Converters||Converts various types of energy into electricity, such as fuel or heat||Rumored|
|Electrical Pipes||Connects power sources to elements||Rumored|
|Reactors||Produces energy that can be used to power constructs||Confirmed - Potentially in Alpha|
|Basic Logical Units||Counter||Alternate its multiple outputs when receiving a signal||Confirmed - Potentially in Alpha|
|Delayline||Delay a signal by 3s||Alpha|
|Logic gates||aka. operators, perform operations (AND, OR, NOT) based on the state of their inputs||Alpha|
|Pulsers ||Capable of pulsing a signal by switching on and off at a certain frequency||Alpha|
|Relay||Relay one input signal on many output||Alpha|
|Sensor Units||Detection zone||Detects players in a spherical radius around itself||Confirmed - Potentially in Alpha|
|Laser Detector||Can detect players (or objects) that pass through it||Alpha|
|Light Detector||Can react to the level of light it is exposed to||Confirmed - Potentially in Alpha|
|Manual Button||A button which can be activated by a player||Alpha|
|Manual Switch||A switch which can be activated/deactivated by a player||Alpha|
|Pressure Plate||A sensor used to detect something passing on to it||Alpha|
|Radars||Detects ships and/or players around itself||Confirmed - Potentially in Alpha|
|Storage Units||Fuel Tanks||Stores a certain volume of fuel||Alpha|
|Gas Container||Stores a certain volume of gas||Rumored|
|Liquid Container||Stores a certain volume of liquid||Rumored|
|Personal Container||A container which only the player can access.||Alpha|
|Solid Container||Stores a certain quantity of materials or resources||Confirmed - Potentially in Alpha|
|Weapon Units||Laser Cannon||A laser weapon that can be mounted on constructs||Confirmed - Potentially in Beta|
|Missile Turret||A turret that can be mounted on constructs||Confirmed - Potentially in Beta|
|Cloaking device||Makes the construct invisible||Confirmed - Post-Release Expansion|
|Communication Units||Used to transfer information between elements without direct connection||Rumored|
|Core Units||An element that defines ownership and administration for a construct, and generates the build zone.||Alpha|
|Gyroscope||Notifies the automatic configuration system where the front and the back of a ship is||Alpha|
|Liquid Pipes||Used to transfer liquid between elements||Rumored|
|Repair Unit||Used to repair a construct. Requires resources and energy||Confirmed - Potentially in Alpha|
|Resurrection Nodes||Allows players to respawn in a specific location||Confirmed - Potentially in Alpha|
|Stargates||Instantly transports players and constructs across interstellar distances||Confirmed - Post-Release Expansion|
|Targeters||Used to target other constructs in conjunction with other elements such as weapons||Rumored|
|Territory Control Units||Physical asset through which a player or organization can claim ownership of a territory tile||Confirmed - Potentially in Alpha|
|Wiring units||Used to transfer information between elements||Rumored|
Key:[edit | edit source]
Alpha: This element is currently playable and will be in the Alpha
Confirmed: An element or feature that will be in the game, but that is not yet playable
- Potentially in Alpha: The development of this element is underway, and it is expected to be playable in the Alpha
- Potentially in Beta: The development of this element is underway, and it is expected to be playable in the Beta
- Post-Release Expansion: This element will be added to the game at some point, but that is not expected to occur until some time after release
Rumored: The developers have mentioned the possibility of adding this type of element to the game, but they have not yet committed to doing so
Disclaimer:[edit | edit source]
Readers should be aware that some confirmed elements and their related content, specifically FLT drives and Stargates, may be intentionally delayed by the developers for gameplay reasons. This delay will likely be years in some cases (most notably Stargates), though no specific timelines are known as this time.
References[edit | edit source]
- April 2017 Development Diary; Dual Universe Forums: https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/11121-april-2017-devdiary/&page=2#comment-51533
- NQ-Nyzaltar, Dual Universe Forums, ""Ask Us Anything" Event", https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/841-ask-us-anything-event/. 07/21/2016.
- Dual Universe YouTube Channel, "Dual Universe DevDiary Updates - July 2017 | Pre-Alpha Video", Timestamp: 3:47, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Vrf50dZrv4. 07/31/2017.
- Dual Universe YouTube Channel, "Dual Universe DevDiary Updates - June 2017 | Pre-Alpha Video", Timestamp: 3:16, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz-XcdbaC3E. 07/05/2017.
- @dualuniverse's Twitter: https://twitter.com/dualuniverse/status/649990683252670464 Oct. 2, 2015
- Dual Universe DevDiary Updates - August 2017 | Pre-Alpha Video @Gamescom 2017", Timestamp: 3:23, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ageLN5r6Twc. 31/08/2017.
- Dual Universe YouTube Channel, "Dual Universe DevDiary Updates - May 2017 | Pre-Alpha Video", Timestamp: 4:29, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vce1qcnyTpE. 06/08/2017.
- Dual Universe Pre-Alpha Tutorial: Rights Management, Outposts & Territories | October 2017: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdJQjiQXO8w&t=20s Oct. 20, 2017
- @dualuniverse's Twitter: https://twitter.com/dualuniverse/status/660156567501844480 Oct. 30, 2015
- @dualuniverse's Twitter: https://twitter.com/dualuniverse/status/761614997243977728 Aug. 05, 2016
- @dualuniverse's Twitter: https://twitter.com/dualuniverse/status/754063443574095872 Jul. 15, 2016
- Dual Universe DevDiary Updates - February 2017 | Pre-Alpha Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNEgXg9vTik Mar. 10, 2017
- Dual Universe YouTube Channel, "Dual Universe DevDiary Updates - March 2017 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yG5DtZcdd8 04/06/2017
- Dual Universe YouTube Channel, "Dual Universe DevDiary Updates - April 2017 https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=7&v=GVJyfKNeOao 05/10/2017
- @dualuniverse's Twitter: https://twitter.com/dualuniverse/status/759121836860932096 Jul. 29, 2016
- Dual Universe: A Single Shard Space MMO Meets Minecraft - Timestamp 04:48: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8cLaCn5A94. Mar. 4, 2017.
- Dual Universe YouTube Channel, "Dual Universe DevDiary - Spaceship Building Gameplay Pre-Alpha Video" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zfnAtb6MZQ&t=358s 09/01/2016
- Dual Universe DevDiary Updates - January 2017 | Pre-Alpha Video - Timestamp 01:35: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUTyiMjjf7w. Jan. 27, 2017.
- @dualuniverse's twitter - 3D printer: https://twitter.com/dualuniverse/status/533308873286090753 Nov. 14, 2014
- @dualuniverse's twitter - Assembler: https://twitter.com/dualuniverse/status/535852437887004672 Nov. 21, 2014
- @dualuniverse's Twitter: https://twitter.com/dualuniverse/status/688054193773522944 Jan. 15, 2016
- @dualuniverse's Twitter: https://twitter.com/dualuniverse/status/528244509076111360 Oct. 11, 2014
- @dualuniverse's Twitter: https://twitter.com/dualuniverse/status/750408744262111232 Jul. 5, 2016
- @dualuniverse's Twitter: https://twitter.com/dualuniverse/status/642364286363418624 Sep. 11, 2015
- Dual Universe YouTube Channel, "Dual Universe Underground Speed Building Pre-Alpha Video", Timestamp: 0:02, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Vrf50dZrv4. 07/10/2016.
- @dualuniverse's Twitter: https://twitter.com/dualuniverse/status/622194297731973120 Jul. 17, 2016
- @dualuniverse's Twitter: https://twitter.com/dualuniverse/status/604335983727874048 May. 29, 2016
- DevBlog Dual Universe - RESURRECTION NODE MECHANICS: https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2014/10/10/resurrection-node-mechanics/#more-344. Oct. 10 2014